Meet Tinus van Wyk – SkyGroup’s Head of Product
Our company is so much more than a logo, tagline and the products we sell.
It’s defined by the hard-working people whose work builds and maintains it: our employees.
Meet one such employee – Tinus van Wyk – our head of product that oversees the development and management of the product set we distribute.
1) What do you do at SkyGroup and in what circumstances would I come to you for something?
I am the Head of Product and responsible for ensuring that we have a product set that allows our partners to provide a compelling visual communications solution to their client’s requirements. I manage the relationship between SkyGroup, and our suppliers. I also look after some of our key partners from a brand management and sales perspective.
You would come to me if you wanted product information or have a specialised requirement from your client and need to provide a functional and customised commercial solution.
2) How long have you been working at SkyGroup?
In July I will be with SkyGroup for 8 years. So, 7,5 years currently.
3) Why would you recommend SkyGroup to a customer?
We offer competitive pricing, unmatched expertise and great pre and post sales service on world class brands. If you want someone to walk the visual communications path with you, SkyGroup is the right choice.
4) What’s one thing you wish you’d known when you started working at SkyGroup or what advice would you give to a newbie?
Put in the time and learn as much as you can. There is never a dull moment at SkyGroup. Think on your feet and step outside of your comfort zone.
5) What was your first job?
I was a field technician at Olivetti, servicing the Nedbank branches computers and networks as well as desktop user support.
6) What’s something you’ve done, but you’ll never do again?
I’ve done too many stupid things to mention, but none that I regret.
I did change a power connector once, without ensuring it was not plugged into live power. It was…shocking. Won’t do that again. 😊
7) How do you like to spend your time outside of work?
I enjoy technology and spend a lot of time reading and researching what’s happening in the world of technology. I am also an avid sim racer and spend as much free time as I can getting better at the e-sport.
8) If you could only have three apps on a smartphone, which would you pick?
WhatsApp, Email and YouTube Music
9) What’s your most used emoji?
😊 and facepalm
10) What is your favourite saying or quote that really inspires you?
If you’re going to do it, do it well.
Learn every day.